About Me

My photo
Gqeberha, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Thursday, April 2, 2020

MY LOCKDOWN JOURNAL - DAY 7

My Lockdown Journal 2020 – Thursday, Day 7:

Today is #Day7OfLockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It has completely changed the world we live in. Our first week of national lockdown and I am sure that many of you (like me) have found yourselves in situations that we could never have imagined. Its impact has not only resulted in a global health crisis but also a global economic crisis. It has hit our already fragile economy hard. To make matters worse, Moody's has downgraded local banks a week after it gave South Africa a sub-investment grade rating. It’s like kicking somebody when they are already down. But God…

With so much volatility prevailing in every sphere of life, people are looking up to leaders for direction and reassurance. In a time like this we can reach out to God because it might not look like it, but He is reaching out to us. We can see it in the frontline, those often overlooked. They are the essential services workers like nurses, doctors, petrol attendants, bank staff, and shop assistants playing a vital role in ensuring food, money and other necessities are available to us in lockdown. God is everywhere!

Today I am writing and editing a manuscript for a friend. My wife is an essential services worker, so it is a bit quiet at home. I appreciate her getting up early and doing her part for society. Our two dogs keep me company and busy. Those who know me are by now used to the dog video clips and pics I post on my WhatsApp status almost every day.

Let us all stay home because people without coronavirus symptoms can spread the disease. People who don’t have symptoms, e.g. cough or even just fever, can still transmit the disease to others. It is what scientists call the “quarantine loophole.” Please continue to have fun at home by reading, watching television, listening to music, have family chats, and share some “throwback” memories.

God is everywhere, even in the news. That’s why we view every news story through the lens of faith. Here is some encouragement from Philippians 4:6-7: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

My childhood days during the Christmas season on my grandparents' farm in Alexandria

 Whenever I hear a song or experience the smell of farm food, it feels like I’m being transported back to my childhood days on a farmhouse i...