About Me

My photo
Gqeberha, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Sunday, April 5, 2020

LOCKDOWN JOURNAL - DAY 11

My Lockdown Journal 2020 – Monday, Day 11:

Today is day 11 of #LockdownSA2020. Every day feels like a carbon copy of the one before. I’m living out my own ‘Groundhog Day’. It gets more difficult by the day to keep myself productive, focused, and creative. How much longer do we have to live like this? The experts are not sure. It’s not the most satisfying answer, but we must remain resilient.

We live in a strange time; the world has never been so clean in terms of mass personal hygiene. Unnecessary contact with external objects or other people has become an unofficial law. For every problem, there’s a solution, but that solution, unfortunately, brings another problem. The social distancing rule is an example thereof. It is aimed at flattening the curve and stopping the coronavirus in its tracks, but people are still out gallivanting and ignoring the lockdown regulations. It’s a global problem; the UK police had to chase people from parks and beaches while the same is happening in France, the US and African countries.

The message to stay home in order to save lives is obviously not getting through. A bride and groom, including their wedding guests, and pastor were arrested over the weekend in KwaZulu-Natal. The one moment it was ‘bride and groom’ and it quickly turned into ‘doom and gloom’.
The coronavirus has left nothing untouched in its wake. For all its peril, it has helped bring people together. Families are connecting more frequently as seen from video clips on social media platforms. There are a lot of unanswered questions coming from our children and loved ones, but one thing I know for sure is that everything will be okay.

During lockdown fear and despair have been nipping at our heels. It made some people turn to religion; others to conspiracy theories, or tackling new hobbies. During the lockdown period, there will be moments that we feel anxiety threatening to overwhelm us. At that moment, I always feel encouraged by the Bible scripture in Psalm 35:15 (NIV) that says, “My times are in your hands; deliver me from the hands of my enemies, from those who pursue me.” Let’s stay focused and allow ourselves the time to rest well and use the opportunity to do some introspection (stock-taking).

#LockdownJournal
#COVID19SouthAfrica
#21DayLockdownSA


No comments:

Post a Comment

My childhood days during the Christmas season on my grandparents' farm in Alexandria

 Whenever I hear a song or experience the smell of farm food, it feels like I’m being transported back to my childhood days on a farmhouse i...