About Me

My photo
Gqeberha, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Monday, April 20, 2020

Lockdown Journal - Day 25

My Lockdown Journal 2020 – Monday, Day 25:

Television has always been an entertaining distraction and a way to escape the stresses of daily life. However, the world has changed since the introduction of the TV. The COVID-19 pandemic is just one example of how television has become a source of vital information.

Watching the news, one realises that the coronavirus picked the right time, and the right country to create havoc on a socio-economic level. The poorest of the poor are resorting to looting because of hunger. Food supplies from the government for the poor are allegedly intercepted by councillors, and the sold or handed out to their supporters. Several claims of food looting have been reported in several provinces. This kind of behaviour coming from community-elected councillors is inhumane and unacceptable.

It’s now up to private donors and foundations like that of Springbok captain Siya Kolisi, to donate food parcels in some of Port Elizabeth’s poorest townships. Some churches are also distributing food parcels to the needy and vulnerable. The current situation has many South Africans feeling helpless and hopeless. The nation is in a grip of fear due to uncertainties brought on the lockdown.

I am fully aware that quoting Bible scriptures won’t bring food on the table, but I do believe that it’s food for one’s spirit. One of the scriptures that I think about a lot comes from 1 Peter 5:7, “Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.” I believe we have nothing to lose by giving God all our worries.

During the lockdown, many women, men and children are stuck at home with their abusers. There is no excuse for abuse during or after lockdown. The bravest thing you and I can do is to help someone who needs help or is asking for help. Call the Stop Gender-Based Violence Helpline on 0800 150 150.

World COVID-19 count:
2,424,419 Infections - 166,235 Deaths.

#LockdownJournal
#LockdownSouthAfrica
#COVID19

No comments:

Post a Comment

My childhood days during the Christmas season on my grandparents' farm in Alexandria

 Whenever I hear a song or experience the smell of farm food, it feels like I’m being transported back to my childhood days on a farmhouse i...