About Me

My photo
Gqeberha, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Thursday, April 2, 2020

MY LOCKDOWN JOURNAL - DAY 2

My Lockdown Journal 2020 – Saturday, Day 2:

I woke up on day two of the national lockdown to not-so-good news. The rating agency Moody’s has stripped South Africa of its investment-grade rating, downgrading our government bonds to “junk”. A “junk” rating means there's a bigger chance that the government won’t be able to pay back its debts. There is good news though: The BBC reported that new data confirms there has been an improvement in air quality over Europe, an obvious by-product of the coronavirus pandemic.

Staying on the environment, don’t forget tonight’s Earth Hour. Let's #StayHome (we are locked in) and join millions of people from all over the globe and switch off the lights in solidarity from 8:30 PM - 9:30 PM to support our planet and nature.

To come back to the news on the home front, the financial meltdown is a threat to the country’s overall happiness. It has dipped slightly at the start of the lockdown. Day one of South Africa’s lockdown was a mix of sacrifice and disregard from a few. Several people have been arrested for allegedly disregarding South Africa's lockdown rules. There are also reports that a second man was arrested for refusing to self-isolate. Let’s keep doing the right thing as responsible citizens.

Today I’m working to assist students online via our student coaching cluster. I will also spend most of the day writing and watching a bit of Netflix movies and documentaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My childhood days during the Christmas season on my grandparents' farm in Alexandria

 Whenever I hear a song or experience the smell of farm food, it feels like I’m being transported back to my childhood days on a farmhouse i...