About Me

My photo
Gqeberha, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Friday, April 17, 2020

Lockdown Journal - Day 22

My Lockdown Journal 2020 – Friday, Day 22:

It’s now three weeks since South Africans embarked on a lockdown to stop the spread of COVID-19. From what I’ve heard yesterday is that the government intends on gradually lifting restrictions on the lockdown. Apparently, the government is planning to slowly send children back to school according to their grades. It raises concerns and a lot of tough questions. I’m just thinking of the psychological effects this is going to have on learners and teachers. Has the government given any thought to Professor Jonathan Jansen’s advice that the 2020 academic year be called off due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic? Or is it not that simple or easy?

It’s an uncertain time for all. There are so many tough decisions to be made but let me rather focus on the lockdown days. Imagine closing your eyes while hugging a tree. Can you feel your cheek pressing against it? Can you feel the warmth and currents flowing from the tree into you? This is exactly what Iceland’s forestry service suggest people do to overcome the sense of isolation many people suffer because of COVID-19 preventative measures. I don’t see it happening in our concrete jungles though; maybe people in our small town’s where there are lots of trees. I doubt it if there are permits in South Africa for such an unusual approach to counter cabin fever.

During the lockdown, many women, men and children are stuck at home with their abusers. There is no excuse for abuse during or after lockdown. The bravest thing you and I can do is to help someone who needs help or is asking for help. Call the Stop Gender-Based Violence Helpline on 0800 150 150.

World COVID-19 count:
2,167,955 Infections - 550,987 Recovered - 146,055 Deaths.

#LockdownJournal
#LockdownSouthAfrica
#CoronaVirus

No comments:

Post a Comment

My childhood days during the Christmas season on my grandparents' farm in Alexandria

 Whenever I hear a song or experience the smell of farm food, it feels like I’m being transported back to my childhood days on a farmhouse i...