About Me

My photo
Gqeberha, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Thursday, April 2, 2020

MY LOCKDOWN JOURNAL - DAY 4

My Lockdown Journal 2020 – Monday, Day 4:

Today is #day4 of the mandatory lockdown due to the coronavirus. I woke up to birds chirping and my wife offered me tea or coffee. I’ve read that the Eastern Cape’s COVID-19 cases has risen to 12. The images and video clips posted by newspapers remind of the movie ‘I am legend’. The scenes of our city-centre streets could make for intense material in a Hollywood movie. The fact that the army rolled into Nelson Mandela Bay has just added to the already apocalyptic atmosphere.

The killer virus has shone a light on poor living conditions in the townships. One can just hope and pray that we as South Africans will persevere and come out victoriously. On the upside; the coronavirus seems to have brought families together. It is evident in the increased chats and jokes on WhatsApp groups and even Facebook. It’s done a world of good for our mental well-being during this uncertain time.

Board games are a favourite pastime nowadays. I enjoy chess and Chinese checkers (yes, Chinese!). watching movies is another ‘vaccine’ to prevent our worrisome thoughts to not paralyse us. My favourite author, Seth Godin, once said the best way to complain is to make something. It turns out this is great advice for this trying time we are living in. There’s one huge opportunity brought on by the coronavirus crisis: We have a lot of extra time on our hands. I suggest someone pick up that paintbrush gathering dust in the garage. There’s no such thing as bad art especially if it makes you feel better. You could also build puzzles, play with the dogs, or like me immerse yourself into your writing. Our plans for the next 17 days (or even longer) are cancelled. We only have today. Let’s make the best of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My childhood days during the Christmas season on my grandparents' farm in Alexandria

 Whenever I hear a song or experience the smell of farm food, it feels like I’m being transported back to my childhood days on a farmhouse i...