About Me

My photo
Gqeberha, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

My Lockdown Journal - 14 July 2020

Most of us get frustrated when life gets in the way. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that we all want to do the simplest things in life, but are blocked by people, a lack of resources, or by situations beyond our control. Maybe you have also encountered that when you set your goals on something, it almost always get blocked on some level. It is, therefore, no surprise that the Bible tells us in so many ways that the bigger our goals are, the bigger our opposition will be. Scripture tells us to press on, and that our best is yet to come.
What I have learned was that if you dearly want something, there is still a way to get what you want; it is called purpose and passion. When I was in grade nine (1983), our career guidance teacher asked us to share what careers we wanted to pursue. Everyone was excited and shared dreams of becoming a doctor, teacher, entrepreneur, etc. When it was my turn, I shared my dream of becoming a writer, the teacher laughed, followed by the rest of the class. I was shocked that a teacher would react like that. My teacher reminded me that we were living in apartheid, South Africa. He said Coloureds don’t become writers because the doors to publishing are shut for people of colour. He said I would make a good clerk or teacher. I felt a strange burning sensation on the inside. It wasn't pain or cramps, but a passion to become a published writer. At that moment I knew that nothing and nobody was going to assassinate my dream. 
Walking home that day, I told myself that just because I’ve experienced resistance didn’t mean I had to give up. I knew I had something in me that was worth pursuing. Somehow I knew that the colour of my skin couldn’t keep me from reaching my dreams and aspirations. I think one of the best things about being a kid, is that there is no dream that’s too big. The journey thereafter wasn’t moonlight and roses; it was hard work. Today I am a published writer and freelance journalist. One of my stories about the #FeesMustFall protests was featured on CNN.
I am sure that many dreams are being realised during this lockdown period. For a writer or creative person, the free time as a result of COVID-19 is a gift on a platter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My childhood days during the Christmas season on my grandparents' farm in Alexandria

 Whenever I hear a song or experience the smell of farm food, it feels like I’m being transported back to my childhood days on a farmhouse i...