About Me

My photo
Gqeberha, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

SCHOOLS KILL CREATIVITY

Do you agree with the following statement: “Schools kill creativity.”

Albert Einstein once said “Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources”. Well I tried my best, but have to mention Sir Ken Robinson in this article. He wants to know why don't we get the best out of people? He argues that it's because we've been educated to become good workers, rather than creative thinkers. Students with restless minds and bodies are ignored or even stigmatized, with terrible consequences. "We are educating people out of their creativity," Robinson says. It's a message with deep resonance.

It is a known fact that every education system on Earth has the same hierarchy of subjects: at the top are mathematics and languages, then the humanities, and the bottom are the arts.” I am an artist and believe me when I say the arts are being neglected. I believe that creativity now is as important in education as literacy, and we should treat it with the same status.

"The greatest scientists are artists as well," said Albert Einstein. As one of the greatest physicists of all time and a fine amateur pianist and violinist, he ought to have known! For Albert Einstein, insight did not come from logic or mathematics. It came, as it does for artists, from intuition and inspiration.

Sir Ken led led a massive inquiry into the significance of creativity in the educational system and the British economy. His 2009 book, The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything, is a New York Times bestseller and has been translated into 21 languages. His latest book, Finding Your Element: How to Discover Your Talents and Passions and Transform Your Life, was published in May 2013. 
Bottom of FormBottom of Form
For Albert Einstein, insight did not come from logic or mathematics. It came, as it does for artists, from intuition and inspiration. Makes one think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My childhood days during the Christmas season on my grandparents' farm in Alexandria

 Whenever I hear a song or experience the smell of farm food, it feels like I’m being transported back to my childhood days on a farmhouse i...