About Me

My photo
Gqeberha, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Monday, May 18, 2020

It only takes one person to make a difference in the life of another

My wife, Sharon Liberty, wrote this beautiful and poignant piece about a primary school teacher that impacted her life:

"It only takes one person to make a difference in the life of another, and in my case, it was my primary school teacher. A great teacher not only inspires, but shapes the character, calibre, and future of a child.

I'm eternally grateful for Mr Schuster who helped me after I've developed a bad stutter problem in primary school. I became withdrawn and kept to myself. Because of this, Mr Schuster had me do my reading and oral presentations privately; not in front of the class. One day after several reading sessions, he gave me this piece of advice: “Stand in front of the mirror, take a deep breath and talk to yourself. Ask yourself questions, answer yourself, and also start reading out loud.”

I took his advice and did this exercise every day until high school. When I have reached standard 7, I overcame my stuttering problem! It really changed my life because I went from being shy and insecure to a more confident person.

Thank you, Mr Schuster, I'm forever grateful to you for changing my life. I'm firm in my belief that a teacher lives on through the memories of his or her learners. It not only proves that good teaching is forever, but that the teacher is immortal." - Sharon Liberty

#GetOverIt
#BrokennessToBreakthrough

No comments:

Post a Comment

My childhood days during the Christmas season on my grandparents' farm in Alexandria

 Whenever I hear a song or experience the smell of farm food, it feels like I’m being transported back to my childhood days on a farmhouse i...