About Me

My photo
Gqeberha, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Monday, December 9, 2013

POEM FOR NELSON MANDELA

Madiba Bay
(Poem in honour of Nelson Mandela)

Through your streets I went wandering
saw Madiba and Biko smiling
and strolling through your townships

Blinded by the sun and silvery shacks
I saw you sheltered by angels from above
for future years and every nightfall

We salute you, Madiba
today we are sad, but not broken-hearted
because this rainbow nation
flies on wings of emancipation.

Lala ngoxolo, tata Madiba.


©2013 Selwyn Milborrow


"... I will always fall short of Madiba’s example, he makes me want to be better..." - Pres Barack Obama speaking at the memorial service for Nelson Mandela

"It is hard to eulogize any man - to capture in words not just the facts and the dates that make a life, but the essential truth of a person - their private joys and sorrows; the quiet moments and unique qualities that illuminate someone’s soul. How much harder to do so for a giant of history, who moved a nation toward justice, and in the process moved billions around the world." - President Barack Obama speaking at the memorial service for Nelson Mandela


No comments:

Post a Comment

My childhood days during the Christmas season on my grandparents' farm in Alexandria

 Whenever I hear a song or experience the smell of farm food, it feels like I’m being transported back to my childhood days on a farmhouse i...