About Me

My photo
Gqeberha, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Monday, June 8, 2020

This Much I Know: About Racism (R.I.P. George Floyd)

This much I know about racism:

I was a teenager during the apartheid uprisings. I’ve witnessed my people being pushed to the edge. Now, I don’t pretend to be perfect, or say everything perfectly. However, if seeing people looting shops and burning buildings upset you more than a white cop killing a black man, then you’re not part of the solution; you're part of the problem. Protesting doesn’t damage the cause because I was part of the school boycotts in the 1980s, and we beat the monster called apartheid. Listen, institutional racism is very much alive in the workplace, sport, entertainment and politics. I do however agree with Barack Obama that “if we want to bring about real change, then the choice isn’t between protest and politics. We have to do both.” First, let’s raise awareness, then vote with our conscience. Like Socrates said, “An unexamined life is not worth living”.


knee to the neck – Bevan Boggenpoel
(in memory of George Floyd) 

he used his knee to his neck
holding George down
while his lacklustre colleagues
stood dutifully by

watching a black man 
pleading to be released
but they couldn't care less 
he’s now deceased

they killed a man 
as if he’s a slave 
sending him 
to an early grave 

he begged and pleaded 
“I can’t breathe”
but the racist persisted 
while he only saw their feet

when they're supposed to
serve and protect
they'd rather kill
with utter neglect

black lives matter 
that's a fact
but police brutality
is the violent act

justice for George
must be served 
a life behind bars
is what they deserve 

cities in unity
gather around
as another black man 
goes underground 

for too long 
this has been going on
no longer must black civilians
be trampled upon

by careless officers 
and just get away
thinking they can just
shoot and slay

thunder roars
as voices demand 
justice for George 
a man unarmed! 

©️ 05/06/2020 Bevan Boggenpoel


No comments:

Post a Comment

My childhood days during the Christmas season on my grandparents' farm in Alexandria

 Whenever I hear a song or experience the smell of farm food, it feels like I’m being transported back to my childhood days on a farmhouse i...